Tuesday, March 8, 2011

MAGIC REALISM

This week, I had a short discussion on magic realism in my art class. Drawing out the imaginative juices out of their brains was an easy task. They had all these wonderful ideas about magic realism.

Magic Realism is an aesthetic style or genre of fiction in which magical elements are blended into a realistic atmosphere in order to gain a better understanding of reality (Wikipedia). It is characterized by fantastical elements, plentitude, hybridity, metafiction and sense of mystery.

With the definition above, i asked my students to draw something that could be classified as Magic Realism. I didn't really wanna limit what my students wanted to do so I allowed them to express their creativity without boundaries.

Here are some of their works:



No comments: