Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Colorful Planets

Art Lesson: Planets on Oil pastel/Crayon Resist Technique
Skill: Smudging

I think it is important that kids learn how to smudge and use oil pastel so I had this lesson for my third graders last week.

Materials:

1. 8x11 sheet of paper
2. circular patterns (my kids used tumblers, scotch tapes, coins, and other circular objects that they have with them)
3. pencil
4. oil pastel
5. paint brush
6. blue water color

Procedure:
1. Trace circles on your paper. The circles could have different sizes. (You can also draw a sun to identify the light source.)
2. Color the planets with oil pastel. Create a dark area on the side of the planet facing away from the sun.
3. Smudge to blend the colors together.
4. Draw some yellow/ white dots or stars on the back ground.
5. Paint the whole paper with blue.
6. Let it dry.

Here are some examples of my students' output.


No comments: