Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The ART of Self Expression


Untitled by Phyll (Grade 6-A)

(untitled by Phyll Migallos) One of my students painted this artwork during one of my lessons on Modern art. He never got the technique that I wanted to be emphasized on the artwork. In fact, this picture is way way off the topic that it made me think twice on whether I should let him do it again or not. However, as I examined the artwork, it reminded me of nothing else but the student himself. The artwork was an expression of who he is on the inside- that fun loving, creative, self-expressive teenager who usually blends in with the back ground. As I was looking at the picture, I remembered what I forgot. Art is not about techniques or concepts. Art was about self-expression on a deeper sense.

No comments: