Wednesday, August 19, 2009

JUNGLE SCENES (Inspired by Henri Rousseau)

Henri Rousseau was a french post-impressionist painter in the naive and primitive manner. His best known paintings depict jungle scenes, even though he never really left France or saw a jungle. His inpirations came from illustrated books and the botanical gardens in Paris. He claimed to have invented a new genre of portrait landscape, which he achieved by starting a painting with a view such as a favorite part of the city, and then depicting a person in the foreground.

Some of Henri Rousseau's paintings are:
The Snake Charmer (1907)


The Hungry Lion Throws Itself on the Antelope (1905)


The Sleeping Gypsy


I presented a short background information for my students before I made them draw. Since Henri Rousseau's works ussually showed the jungle, I had the students think of different wild animals. Then, I allowed them to draw from their imagination a jungle. I asked them to draw at least one wild animal as a foreground for their drawings.

No comments: